Shock As Boko Haram Seize Military Base In Borno


Boko Haram jihadists have seized a military base in northeast Nigeria, days after an attack left five troops dead and 30 others missing, security sources and residents disclosed on Saturday.

Fighters from the IS-affiliated Islamic State West Africa Province in trucks and on motorcycles stormed the base in the town of Magumeri, 50 kilometres Maiduguri late on Friday.

The militants overran the base for hours, hauling away weapons before they were forced out.

“The terrorists dislodged troops from the base after an intense fight,” a military officer told AFP.

“We lost weapons and equipment to the terrorists but it is not clear if there was any human loss,” said the officer, who asked not to be named.

The jihadists arrived in the town around 5:00 pm (1600 GMT) and engaged troops in an hour-long fight before they “gained the upper hand and chased the troops away,” militia leader Gremah Kaka told AFP.

“The insurgents overpowered the soldiers and forced them to flee into the bush,” he said.

Kaka said they stayed in the base for “more than four hours” before they were dislodged by reinforcements from another base in Gubio, 46 kilometres away.


Last week, the jihadists raided a military base in Mararrabar Kimba, 135 kilometres from Maiduguri, killing five troops and stealing weapons, while some 30 troops are listed as missing.

ISWAP has since July last year targeted dozens of military bases in attacks that saw the jihadists kill scores of soldiers. The military authorities have always denied any casualties.

Post a Comment

For Enquires, Sponsored posts, Advertisement and more; contact us
** odeyemiisaiah14@gmail.com

Please, write a comment

[blogger][disqus][facebook]

Google9ja

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Javascript DisablePlease Enable Javascript To See All Widget